What is Unlawful discharge of firearms in Arizona A.R.S. 13-3107?
A person who with criminal negligence discharges a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality. Notwithstanding the fact that the offense involves the discharge of a deadly weapon, unless a dangerous offense is alleged and proven applies to this offense. The following paragraph explains the defenses to this law. If any of these defenses apply to one who has been accused or charged with this crime, immediately contact a criminal defense lawyer.
This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged under the following circumstances.
- As allowed on a properly supervised range. In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona game and fish department, approved and posted as required by the chief of police, but any such area may be closed when deemed unsafe by the chief of police or the director of the Arizona game and fish department.
- For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service.
- By special permit of the chief of police of the municipality.
- As required by an animal control officer in the performance of duties.
- Using blanks. More than one mile from any occupied structure.
- In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack if a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force against the animal is immediately necessary and reasonable under the circumstances to protect oneself or the other person.
“Municipality” means any city or town and includes any property that is fully enclosed within the city or town. “Properly supervised range” means a range that is any of the following:
- Operated by a club affiliated with the national rifle association of America, the amateur trapshooting association, the national skeet association or any other nationally recognized shooting organization, or by any public or private school.
- Approved by any agency of the federal government, this state or a county or city within which the range is located.
- Operated with adult supervision for shooting air or carbon dioxide gas operated guns, or for shooting in underground ranges on private or public property.